What is the Versa Networks SD WAN Solution?
Versa offers their clients integrated SD WAN and SASE security services on a cloud-native platform, with managed and DIY service options. The solution comes in two forms: Versa Classic, a feature-rich solution offered via Managed Service Providers (MSPs) popular with large global enterprises; and Versa Titan, a simplified and compacted version which is more accessible to self-manage (DIY) and is more popular with SMEs. Versa’s SD WAN solution aims to provide middle-mile services across global networks.
Their comprehensive solutions are designed to enable migration and support of multi-cloud connectivity, allowing branch offices to connect to multiple public and private clouds such as AWS and Azure, and SaaS services such as Salesforce, Office 365, RingCentral and many more.
Versa also offers typical SD WAN carrier-grade features such as IP address management, Denial of Service (DoS), Intrusion Protection System (IPS), Intrusion Detection System (IDS), and antivirus and malware software.
Finally, the Versa VOS (Versa Operating System) is a cloud-native, multi-tenant and multi-service software stack. The solution has networking and security functions and can be used to design network architectures and managed services. For SD WAN, Versa VOS includes auto IPsec VPN, layer-7 application SLA profiles and enforcement, application intelligent traffic steering and flexible topologies, which include: hub & spoke, spoke-hub-hub-spoke, full-mesh, partial-mesh and custom architectures. For security, the VOS has capabilities for NGFW, stateful firewall, SSL inspection, NG-IPS and antivirus, malware and ransomware detection and protection. Routing capabilities include policy-based routing, VRRP, IPv4/IPv6 static and dynamic routing (OSPF, BGPMP-BGP), multicast (PIM-SM, PIM-SSM and IGMP), QoS, hierarchical QoS, DSCP marketing, traffic classification and policy creation.
Further features include:
Configuration-Based Key Features:
- Zero-Touch Configuration: Removes the need for an IT team. Suitable for companies with remote locations.
- Split Tunnel: The SD WAN solution features split tunnelling. Traffic can be diverted via a VPN through a direct branch-to-branch overlay to reach the corporate office, whilst at the same time, other traffic is sent directly to the internet or cloud.
- Multipath Traffic Steering: Steering traffic in cloud applications in the cloud exchange between local - access and hub sites.
- Versa Director: Supports virtualization using VMware and integrates into AWS, Azure, Google Cloud and Dell.
- Optional Wi-Fi and Long-Term Evolution (LTE): Hardware offering includes optional Wi-Fi and LTE, which many other vendors do not support. This hardware helps to prevent disruption of network connections and application access.
- Cloud-Management: Good for DIY-managed solutions, Versa Titan, can be managed via a desktop or the Titan Mobile App.
Security-Based Key Features:
- Network Address Translation (NAT): Translates all private IP addresses within the local branch or data centre into a single public IP address. Offers security when communicating via the internet.
- Next-Generation Firewall (NGFW): Approves or denies traffic based on state, port and protocol and blocks threats such as advanced malware and application-layer attacks. It can also filter traffic based on administrator-defined rules.
- Stateful Firewall: Closely monitors traffic streams and can integrate encryption or tunnels and identify TCP connection stages, packet state and other critical status updates.
- SASE: See, What is the Versa SASE Security Solution?
Performance-Based Key Features:
- Versa SLA Monitoring: Allows clients to apply contextualized user experience criteria, which allows traffic to be dynamically steered across paths. Dynamic traffic steering ensures high performance and reliability for all business applications and workloads.
- Direct Cloud Access (DCA): Optimizes access to popular cloud sites such as AWS and Azure.
- DIY Management: Versa’s Titan network operations centre (NOC) is always available to clients and provides management help via live chat or telephone.