What is the Cisco Viptela SD WAN Solution?
Cisco Viptela is a complex and high-level SD WAN offering multi-cloud capabilities. Clients can deploy Viptela’s solution in physical, virtual or cloud form. Cisco Viptela can fully manage the solution; however, it can also be co-managed indirectly via a Viptela service provider, integrator partner or as a DIY solution, leveraging pre-existing IT teams. SD WAN can be deployed as multi-tenant, on-premises or via the cloud using branch, cloud and colocation edge infrastructure. Cisco SD WAN can be deployed into cloud environments using the Cisco Catalyst 8000v edge software or Cloud Services Router 1000v.
Configuration-Based Key Features:
- Cisco ThousandEyes: Improves understanding of application performance issues, using vAnalytics and quality of experience (QoE), which translate data into virtualized insights that provide visibility across the WAN, including the cloud, internet and SaaS. Cisco ThousandEyes integrates with Cisco Catalyst 8200 and 8500 Series Edge platforms and Cisco 4000 Series Integrated Service Routers.
- Cloud-scale Infrastructure: SD WAN supporting high availability and throughput, multi-gigabit port options, 5G cellular links and powerful encryption.
- Cisco Digital Network Architecture Software: Assures and automates services across the network via software delivery. Cisco DNA software is used for SD WAN and routing and is available in three-tier subscriptions: Essentials, Advantage and Premier.
Security-Based Key Features:
- SASE: Viptela offers integrated SASE security (see, What is the Cisco Viptela SASE security solution?)
- On-Premises Security: Clients can choose between SASE or on-premises security, which provides secure WAN access using embedded SSL deception, enterprise firewall, intrusion prevention, URL filtering and malware sandboxing.
- Cisco Umbrella Cloud Security: Provides security and prevents the malicious activity from starting by utilizing internet infrastructure. As a cloud-based solution, there is no hardware to install, saving time and money.
Performance-Based Key Features:
- Cloud OnRamp: Product designed to provide connectivity to the public cloud and simplify the workload for AWS, Azure and Google Cloud whilst automating on-demand connectivity to multiple sites and leading cloud provider networks using software-defined cloud interconnect (SDCI) providers such as Equinix and Megaport. It also offers some elements of application acceleration (see, Does Cisco Viptela offer WAN acceleration and optimization?).
- Voice and Collaboration: Unified communications integrate collaboration tools using APIs for more compelling user experiences accessible as on-premises software, as a service from cloud providers (UaaS), or as partner-hosted.
- Application Quality of Experience (AppQoE): The limitations of traditional WAN are a multidimensional problem. Cisco Viptela’s SD WAN solution features a range of tools and capabilities to ensure the peak performance of business-critical applications.
From 2022, Cisco has added SD-WAN traffic encryption across private backbone or public networks. Traffic encryption is enabled through partnerships with providers such as Megaport to support encrypted SD-WAN traffic as it crosses middle-mile networks as part of the SD-WAN overlay network. Cisco vAnalytics can monitor performance and control application traffic generated from attached Microsoft 365 clouds.
Additionally, Cisco SD-WAN software can now create multiple regions within overlay networks, with inter-regional traffic managed by Cisco SD-WAN’s vManage service for controlling, configuring, and monitoring Cisco devices in the overlays. Cisco has also integrated its vManage and Identity Services Engine (ISE), enabling the configuration of Zero Trust Network Access (ZTNA) policies and identity-based user and device policies.
Furthermore, Cisco now offers Catalyst Wireless Gateway hardware for remote branches or home/hybrid workers. The gateway can be managed via the Cisco SD-WAN dashboard and features LTE failover and Wi-Fi 6 support.