IT teams are outsourcing their managed Ethernet services rather than building and deploying their own DIY capability. These managed Ethernet services address many challenges caused by DIY Ethernet. For instance, you need the right technical expertise to deploy and configure DIY connectivity and dedicated internal resources to manage the circuits. On the other hand, managed services allow companies to leverage the most up-to-date technical expertise in the industry. Moreover, they free the internal IT teams from the burden of managing the Ethernet.
What are Ethernet WAN services?
Ethernet is a networking technology invented fifty years ago to connect devices within a wired Local Area Network (LAN) or a Wide Area Network (WAN). Ethernet uses cables for data transmission. Thus, it differs from WiFi technology, which does not use any cables. Ethernet WAN is simple, cost-effective, and easy to deploy and update with technological innovations. Furthermore, it can be used in any environment. Thus, Ethernet has become the de facto standard for most networks like campus networks, data centers, and private office networks. It can operate with wireless protocols and supports complex networks like software-defined networks and virtual private networks (VPNs).
What are Managed Ethernet services?
Managed Ethernet services are third-party services that provide privately owned, high-quality, and fast ethernet connections for businesses on any scale. They offer ethernet solutions tailored to business requirements like bandwidth, security, and application. The managed Ethernet service provider handles everything from the design, and deployment, to the management of the Ethernet. Thus, the internal IT teams of the organization are relieved from the stress of managing the Ethernet, which allows them to focus on their strategic goals.
|Types of Ethernet||Ethernet Use Cases|
|VLL Pseudowire||Connecting branch offices and connecting data centres which reside in multiple physical locations.|
|VPLS (Virtual Private LAN Service)||Connecting multiple data centres, offices or branch-office locations.|
|Dedicated fiber Ethernet circuits||Companies that have mission critical applications.|
|Metro Ethernet||Extending the LAN between data centres. Connecting residential subscribers to network connectivity. Provision of mobile backhaul connectivity.|
|Optical circuits||High bandwidth bandwidth services with very low latency, ideal for the broadcast industry and the trading market.|
What are DIY Ethernet services?
DIY Ethernet services are provided and fully managed by the internal IT teams - organizations have complete control of their DIY Ethernet solution as they fully own it.
IT teams need to consider several aspects when creating a self-managed DIY Ethernet. They are as follows:
- The existing expertise to design, deploy, configure, and monitor a self-managed DIY Ethernet
- What are the additional security and configuration requirements of the organization?
- The complex needs of the organization are difficult or costly to be fulfilled by managed Ethernet services
- The level of control your business requires
- What is the value addition of a self-managed DIY Ethernet?
- Does your Ethernet meet the required bandwidth?
- How long will your internal ethernet service take to resolve DIY Ethernet-related issues?
Why does your business need Ethernet services?
- Reduce costs - Ethernet equipment is relatively cheaper, and installation and maintenance are also not as expensive as WiFi networks. It makes Ethernet ideal for smaller companies. So Ethernet provides the best value for your money.
- Simplify the network infrastructure - Ethernet is ideal for companies that need consistent and faster internet download and upload speeds, finer granularity, and scalability.
- For flexibility - Changes to the network can be made easily.
- For scalability - Scalability is essential for any business as traffic can grow with time, and businesses can sometimes expect fluctuations in traffic. Ethernet is the best option if you need to scale your network without buying additional equipment.
Which industry sectors are using Ethernet services?
Ethernet is used in many industry sectors, such as:
- Manufacturing industry
- Oil and Gas Aerospace and Defence Chemical Industry
- Electrical and Electronics industry
- Transport IT industry Education Banking and Finance
Managed Ethernet as-a-service from the Cloud
You can buy Ethernet as a Cloud service and easily integrate it into a WAN edge or virtualized environment. It is simple to consume Cloud Ethernet as a managed service due to its direct integration with the Cloud, different virtual circuits, and centralized management. Many cloud service providers like AWS, Azure, or Google Cloud provide virtual circuits.
For example, the AWS Direct Connect service extends the on-premises networks to the Cloud. Moreover, it provides virtual circuits for Ethernets like virtual private Cloud (VPN), Virtual Private Gateways (VPG), VPC, and VPC peering, simplifying consuming Cloud Ethernet as a managed service. Azure also provides Azure Virtual Networks (VNets), VPNs, and managed security services for Ethernet. Google Cloud includes Hybrid connectivity, VPC, Private service connection, and VPC service controls.